What is SeaBritain 2005?SeaBritain 2005 is a national maritime celebration on a grand scale. With festivities and events throughout 2005 and beyond, SeaBritain 2005 celebrates the ways in which the sea touches all of our lives. Whether you live by the coast or inland – everyone can get involved.
At its heart is the Trafalgar Festival 2005, with events throughout summer and autumn 2005 to mark the 200th anniversary of Nelson's finest and last hour and encompassing the Trafalgar Weekend of 21–23 October 2005.
See our downloadable information sheet for further details. (.pdf 206KB)
Partners and supporters
Many partners and supporters are joining to make SeaBritain 2005 a celebration to remember. Current partners include:
- National Maritime Museum
- Royal Navy
- Official Nelson Commemorations Committee
- The National Trust
- Royal Yachting Association
- The BBC
- The Chamber of Shipping
- The Baltic Exchange
- English Heritage
- Lloyd's Register
- The Marine Society
- Sea Cadets
- Sea Vision UK
- Trinity House
- International Festival of the Sea
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport
See Partner organisations for more information.
SeaBritain 2005 events
2005 will be an exciting year. In addition to the sailing regattas and seaside events for which Britain is renowned, Portsmouth will host the International Festival of the Sea and the International Fleet Review in the summer. There are other major maritime events being planned around the country, and NewcastleGateshead will be the only UK venue hosting the world-class Tall Ships Race. London is planning to celebrate its unique maritime heritage by promoting the River Thames to visitors and Londoners alike.
The SeaBritain 2005 team
The team is based in the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich and is working in close partnership with VisitBritain, The National Trust, Sea Vision UK, the Royal Yachting Association and Trinity House. See Partner organisations for more information.
The Steering Group is led by David Quarmby CBE, former Chairman of the British Tourist Authority. Read the Chairman's welcome.
SeaBritain 2005 is under the gracious Royal patronage of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. HRH The Duke of York has kindly agreed to be patron of the Trafalgar Festival 2005.
The team's role
The team's role is to
- brief and encourage organisations to participate in SeaBritain 2005
- develop and maintain information on this website
- encourage the promotion of water-based sport and recreation to give opportunities to those with little or no experience of the sea
- develop and facilitate use of the SeaBritain 2005 brand for participating organisations
- brief the tourism industry about SeaBritain 2005 and opportunities for tourism, marketing and promotion
To lend your support, e-mail the SeaBritain 2005 team at email@example.com.
Visit the 'Contact us' page for a full list of contact details.